On the upper lash line, most of us have 90 -160 lashes dispersed over five to six rows. The part of the lash which you can see is the hair shaft, there is a root beneath the skin, and finally a bulb where new hair begins to develop; all of these three make up each eyelash. For more information, check the website, Brandsreviews, eyelash serum.
The Cycle of Eyelash Growth
In their growth cycle, eyelashes go through three unique phases: Anagen (active growth), Catagen (transition), and Telogen (resting). The time which is required to complete the cycle is between 4 to 11 months.
The First Phase: PHASE OF ANAGEN (ACTIVE GROWTH)
The hair is linked to the dermal papilla (blood supply) at this phase, which 'feeds' and helps the lash grow. About 35-40% of upper lashes (and 15% of lower lashes) will always be in the growth phase, making sure that you do not lose all of your lashes at once when the falling-out phase begins. The time of Anagen phase is 4-10 weeks, during which the lashes grow at a rate of 0.12-0.14 mm each day. The longer an eyelash is in the growth phase, the more it grows.
This is where an eyelash serum comes in; it works to increase the duration of this phase so that lashes can continue to develop for a longer period of time. Keep in mind that only around 40% of your lashes are in this phase at any given moment, so when you start using a lash serum, you will probably notice increased length and new lashes on a part of your lashes as the other 60% cycle through the other phases.
The Second Phase: PHASE OF CATAGEN (TRANSITION)
The hair follicle shrinks, detaches from the blood supply, and the eyelash stops developing at this phase. While waiting for the next phase, lashes maintain the length achieved during the Anagen phase, which is known as the 'transition period. This period lasts around 2-3 weeks. During this phase, if one eyelash falls out, or is unnaturally plucked out, the follicle remains empty until the end of the phase and the transition to Telogen. This means you will be left with an empty space till the follicle returns to the Anagen phase.
The importance of eyelash serums in this phase: Length is one thing, but fullness is something another entirely. It is critical to keep lashes firm and healthy throughout this time so that they do not fall out and leave gaping holes in the lash line. Eyelash serums claim to make lashes silky, non-brittle, and nourished, making them less likely to break or fall out.
The Third Phase: PHASE OF TELOGEN (RESTING AND SHEDDING)
The lashes are quiescent and resting during this phase, while a new baby hair grows inside the follicle and the old lash loses naturally. This stage lasts 3 to 4 months, and normally at any time, approximately half of all eyelashes are in this phase. Lash serums accelerate the Telogen phase, allowing lashes to enter the growth phase sooner.
Why Does the Serum Work Better for Some people Than for Others?
It all depends on when you start the serum and where your lashes are in their cycle. While 35 to 40% of your lashes may be in the growth phase (which the serum is extending), the remaining 60% need time to cycle through before returning to the growth phase. It also depends on whether you start with your lashes at the beginning, middle, or finish of each step.
As You Get Older, Your Lashes Will Grow More Slowly
The lash cycle slows down as we get older, and new lashes take longer to renew. Besides, while aging, eyelashes lose their ability to hold moisture as effectively as they once did, causing follicle damage. Eyelash serums work in each of these situations, but results take longer to manifest as people become older. Give it 12-16 weeks of constant use to see results.